Boost Your Home’s Curb Appeal
Even if you’re not considering putting your home on the market soon, it never hurts to enhance and improve your property. Make your home the envy of the neighborhood with these simple tips.
The Lawn and Landscaping
- Mow your lawn twice a week, pull weeds and rake up your leaves.
- Trim hedges and shrubs, as well as tree limbs that are located near the roof.
- Sweep your walkways.
- Plant a variety of colorful flowers that complement one another and bloom throughout the growing season. Be sure to weed and mulch your flower beds to keep your plants healthy.
- Place potted flowers near the front door.
- Clean your windows and gutters, and pressure wash your siding and decks.
- Freshen up the exterior of your home with a coat of paint.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Get a new front door. If this isn’t possible, replace the hardware and stain or paint the door.
- Install new accents like house numbers, kick plates, doorbell buttons or mail slots.
- Replace your roof, if necessary. To keep the growth of moss and fungus at bay, place a strip of zinc underneath the shingles along the roofline of your house.
- Add an awning over your deck or patio to enjoy the outdoors for more of the year.
- Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller. Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
- Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
- Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
- Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
- Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
- Fix or replace discolored grout.
- Replace broken tiles.
- Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- Keep pets secured outdoors.
- Buy new towels for bathrooms.
- Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
- Replace old lamps or lampshades.
- Play quiet background music.
- Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
- Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
- Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
- Vacate the property while it is being shown.
© 2012 Buffini & Company. All Rights Reserved.